It’s festive season and it feels like the roasting season so let’s roast some beef rump steak. This time around, we will flatten our steak, marinate it, roll it like a Swiss roll, tie it up with a cotton twine and then bake it. Let’s do this!
What you will need:
- 1 kg beef rump steak (with fat layer)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon meat tenderiser (powder)
- ALSO READ: Easy recipe: Stuff your chicken with sweet peppers
- 30g butter
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cotton twine
What to do:
- Cut the steak halfway from the centre then flatten it as much as possible using a knife.
- Lay it flat on the table and sprinkle the meat tenderiser. Use a fork to prick some holes all over the steak so that the tenderiser penetrates the surface.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the steak then sprinkle the black pepper and salt. Add the butter and rub all the marinade all over the steak.
- Roll the steak just like rolling a Swiss roll cake. Ensure you get a log shape.
- Use the cotton twine to tie the steak so that it stays intact in the log shape.
- Place the steak on a non-stick pan with an aluminium handle.
- Sprinkle some herbs like coriander on the side of the pan and place in an oven 200°C for 45 – 50 minutes or until the steak is brown and crusted on the outside.
- Once the steak is roasted, remove the cotton twine and slice it to your desired portions.
Serve with some naan bread and enjoy the festive roast.